Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care


Enrol Anytime


12 Months Self Paced


Workplace Traineeships, Online Learning, Classroom Courses

About this Course

METS trainers will inspire you as you begin your career in the world of Early Childhood Education and Care. Explore one of the most fulfilling career paths for those with a love of children, early education and a passion for childhood development. 


This nationally-recognised course includes 15 core units and 3 electives. You will gain an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a Certificate III level educator which may include, but are not limited to:


  • Providing Education and Care to Children
  • Supporting children’s learning and development, including contributing to the educational program and practice
  • Assisting the delivery of an approved learning framework
  • Developing positive relationships with children and families
  • Supporting the daily routines of children
  • Contributing to the delivery of National Quality Standards requirements
  • Ensuring compliance with service policies and national and/or state-based legislation.


Enjoy potential options of flexible hours within your childcare career, where you will foster the holistic development of children aged 0-5.

Career Prospects
  • Early Childhood Educator
  • Outside School Hours Care Educator
  • Family Day Care Educator
  • Childcare Support Worker
  • Pre School Assistant
  • Qualified Nanny
  • 12 months (full-time trainee) – 24 months (part-time trainee)
  • Fee-for-service: 12 months
Entry Requirements

There are no stated entry requirements. We require students have computer literacy and literacy skills.

Funding and Payment Options

There are a wide variety of funding options available. From government funding through to fee-for-service. To find out what you are eligible for, click here

Elective Units

CHCDIV003 – Manage and promote diversity

BSBHRM413 – Support the learning and development of teams and individuals

BSBPEF502 – Develop and use emotional intelligence

Education Pathways

Education pathways after completing  CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care may include: 

• CHC40313 Certificate IV in Child, Youth and Family Intervention 

• CHC50121 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care 

• CHC50313 Diploma of Child, Youth and Family Intervention

Am I eligible for a traineeship?

To be eligible to commence a traineeship, a participant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time within a service (minimum 15 hours). The participant must have the support of their employer, an accredited RTO (such as METS) and an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

How do I find a traineeship?

Finding a traineeship is similar to finding any job. You’ll need to network with employers and job recruitment agencies and market yourself within your chosen sector.

I am not eligible for a traineeship. Can I still complete the qualification?

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their employment status (casual, part-time working under 15 hours etc.), they can still complete the course as a Fee for Service Student.

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their residency status, they can in some cases still complete the qualification Self-Funded, however visa restrictions do apply. It is best to speak to your immigration officer and/or us regarding your eligibility.

What kind of assessments will I be completing?

Depending on the unit of study, you will complete both theory and practical based assessments to achieve competency in your qualification. Assessments may include short answer, project work, case students and reflection logs.

Can I extend by traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?

Yes. Under certain circumstances your traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as a last resort. You should speak to us and/or your Australian Apprenticeship Centre if you are considering applying for an extension.

Have more questions? Visit our student frequently asked questions page or contact us!

Ready to get started?