Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care


Enrol Anytime


18 - 24 Months Self Paced


Workplace Traineeships, Online Learning, Classroom Courses

About this Course

METS trainers will inspire you to create a safe and inclusive environment in outside of school hours & vacation care services where you will be responsible for supervising and caring for children aged 5-12 years in a range of activities, including supporting children’s learning and development, health and wellbeing, along with assisting with the design, planning, implementing and evaluating of educational programs and practices, that meet the requirements of the National Quality Framework (NQF), which includes the National Law and Regulations, National Quality Standard, the assessment and rating process and national learning frameworks. It will also prepare you for working with community members and external agencies.


While enjoying the combination of online study as well as practical workplace experience, this course will prepare you for your role and responsibilities as a Certificate IV level educator. 


Enjoy the option of flexible hours in your childcare career, while expanding your problem solving and supervisory expertise and skill sets. 



Career Prospects
  • Outside School Hours Care Educators and Educational Leaders
  • Outside School Hours Care Coordinators 
  • Vacation Care or School Holidays Programmes Educator  
  • Vacation Care or School Holidays Programmes Coordinator 
  • Support Roles in Leisure or Youth Programmes 
  • 12 months for a full time employee and 24 months for a part time employee.
  • Fee For Service (Self Funded) – An enrolment period of 2 years will be given, extensions can be applied for however further enrolment fees will apply.
Entry Requirements

There are no stated entry requirements. We require students have computer literacy and literacy skills.

Funding and Payment Options

There are a wide variety of funding options available. From government funding through to fee-for-service. To find out what you are eligible for, click here

Elective Units

CHCPRP003 – Reflect on and improve own professional practice
CHCECE012 – Support children to connect with their world
CHCECE006 – Support behaviour of children and young people
CHCECE021 – Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children

Education Pathways

Education pathways after completing CHC40113 Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care may include:

• CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care 

• CHC50213 Diploma of School Age Education and Care

Am I eligible for a traineeship?

To be eligible to commence a traineeship, a participant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time (minimum 15 hours). The participant must have the support of their employer, an accredited RTO and an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

How do I find a traineeship?

Finding a traineeship is similar to finding any job. You’ll need to network with employers and job recruitment agencies and market yourself within your chosen sector.

I am not eligible for a traineeship. Can I still complete the qualification?

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their employment status (casual, part-time working under 15 hours etc.), they can still complete the course as a Fee for Service Student.

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their residency status, they can in some cases still complete the qualification Self-Funded, however visa restrictions do apply. It is best to speak to your immigration officer and/or us regarding your eligibility.

What kind of assessments will I be completing?

Depending on the unit of study, you will complete both theory and practical based assessments to achieve competency in your qualification. Assessments may include short answer, project work, case students and reflection logs.

Can I extend by traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?

Yes. Under certain circumstances your traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as a last resort. You should speak to us and/or your Australian Apprenticeship Centre if you are considering applying for an extension.

Have more questions? Visit our student frequently asked questions page or contact us!

Ready to get started?