Diploma of School Age Education and Care


Enrol Anytime


25 Units


Traineeship or Correspondence

About this Course

This CHC50213 Diploma of School Age Education and Care course is for those who want to take their school age education career to the next level. This course is designed for those responsible for the day-to-day running of a before and after school care and/or vacation care service. Learn fundamentals such as planning, implementing and managing programs, licensing, duty of care and much more! If you are seeking a career working with children who are in school and hope to create experiences that support a child’s learning and play, then this course is for you.

Course Code



Children’s services

  • Traineeships: 24 months for a fulltime employee and 36 months for a part-time employee.
  • Fee For Service (Self Funded) – An enrolment period of 2 years will be given, extentions can be applied for however further enrolement fees will apply.
Entry Requirements

There are no stated entry requirements. We require students have computer literacy and literacy skills.

Program leader
Group coordinator
Service director
Group leader 
Service manager
Outside school hours care coordinator
Team leader
Outside school hours care worker
Vacation care coordinator

Want to learn more? Download a course brochure below.

Am I eligible for a traineeship?

To be eligible to commence a traineeship, a participant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time (minimum 15 hours). The participant must have the support of their employer, an accredited RTO and an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

How do I find a traineeship?

Finding a traineeship is similar to finding any job. You’ll need to network with employers and job recruitment agencies and market yourself within your chosen sector.

I am not eligible for a traineeship. Can I still complete the qualification?

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their employment status (casual, part-time working under 15 hours etc.), they can still complete the course as a Fee for Service Student.

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their residency status, they can in some cases still complete the qualification Self-Funded, however visa restrictions do apply. It is best to speak to your immigration officer and/or us regarding your eligibility.

What kind of assessments will I be completing?

Depending on the unit of study, you will complete both theory and practical based assessments to achieve competency in your qualification. Assessments may include short answer, project work, case students and reflection logs.

Can I extend by traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?

Yes. Under certain circumstances your traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as a last resort. You should speak to us and/or your Australian Apprenticeship Centre if you are considering applying for an extension.

Have more questions? Visit our student frequently asked questions page or contact us!

Download the Course Brochure

Ready to get started?