Identify and respond to children and young people at risk


Contact Us


Self Paced



About this Course

When providing services or supervision to children and young people, it’s important to identify signs that may indicate the risk of harm, abuse, or neglect. Equally important is the response to these indicators, and the support provided. 


In completing this course, you will learn to:


  • Implement work practices which support the protection of children and young people. 
  • Report indication of possible risk of harm. 
  • Apply ethical and nurturing practices in work with children and young people. 


The CHCPRT001 Identify and respond to children and young people at risk course is a nationally recognised training and assessment unit, and applies to workers in a range of roles providing services and supervision to children and young people.


Upon successful completion Learners will be issued with a Statement of Attainment in CHCPRT001

Entry Requirements

There are no stated entry requirements.

Career Prospects

Early Childhood Education & Care

Out of School Hours Care

Community Services

Disability Services working with Children and Young People

Youth Work

Want to learn more? Download a course brochure below.

Am I eligible for a traineeship?

To be eligible to commence a traineeship, a participant must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident working full or part time (minimum 15 hours). The participant must have the support of their employer, an accredited RTO and an Australian Apprenticeship Centre.

How do I find a traineeship?

Finding a traineeship is similar to finding any job. You’ll need to network with employers and job recruitment agencies and market yourself within your chosen sector.

I am not eligible for a traineeship. Can I still complete the qualification?

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their employment status (casual, part-time working under 15 hours etc.), they can still complete the course as a Fee for Service Student.

If a participant is ineligible for a traineeship due to their residency status, they can in some cases still complete the qualification Self-Funded, however visa restrictions do apply. It is best to speak to your immigration officer and/or us regarding your eligibility.

What kind of assessments will I be completing?

Depending on the unit of study, you will complete both theory and practical based assessments to achieve competency in your qualification. Assessments may include short answer, project work, case students and reflection logs.

Can I extend by traineeship if I am not able to complete it by the end date?

Yes. Under certain circumstances your traineeship can be extended, however this process can take some time and applying for an extension should be considered as a last resort. You should speak to us and/or your Australian Apprenticeship Centre if you are considering applying for an extension.

Ready to get started?