Australian Community Services Industry – A Five-Minute Guide

Often students have strong aspirations to help others. If this sounds like you, then Community Services and Care might be the perfect industry to consider. You would be guided into an extremely meaningful career helping those in need like people with disability or supporting the aged. This career is certainly one that will provide you with endless fulfilment.

___________

Community Services industry at a glance

According to CSIA – The Community Services Industry encompasses a diverse range of organisations supporting social and economic inclusion across the community. Its galvanizing theme is creating positive change in the lives of people and communities, particularly the most vulnerable. It attracts a passionate and dedicated workforce that values making a contribution to this positive change.

________________

How much will I make?

Salary expectations would range based on your title and time in that role, but a ballpark estimation would be $23p/h to $50p/h. The average weekly salary is approximately $1300p/w.

________________

What are the hours?

63% of people hold full time positions in Community Services, while the remaining 37% hold more flexible positions.

_________________

What is it like? 

According to joboutlook.gov.au a typical day could be made up of the following tasks.

  • Accompanying/assisting aged/people with disability to manage daily activities such as mobility, social visits, shopping and errands 
  • Preparing food and performing housekeeping tasks such as vacuuming and cleaning
  • Assisting in personal hygiene and dressing
  • Providing companionship, friendship and emotional support
  • Assessing participants’ needs and planning, developing and implementing educational, training and support programs.
  • Monitoring and reporting on the progress of participants.
  • Assessing community need and resources for health, welfare, housing, employment, training and other facilities and services.
  • Liaising with community groups, welfare agencies, government bodies and private businesses.
  • Assisting in the management of a participants NDIS plan. 

_______________

Who works in Community Services?

35-54 yrs old is the most dominant age bracket for community service workers in Australia. 74% of which are female.

_________________

What type of careers are available?

  • Home and Community Care
  • Disability Support
  • Homelessness Support and Social Housing
  • Mental Health Services
  • Foster Care and Out of Home Care
  • Child Safety and Support
  • Aged Care
  • Employment Services
  • Family and Domestic Violence Services
  • Community Education
  • Multicultural Support Services
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Services
  • Community Health
  • Youth Support
  • Community Legal Services
  • Financial Counselling
  • Health Promotion

 

Community Services is Australia’s second-largest employing industry! Start your training journey today. Enquire now! 

_________________

We offer

Certificate III in Individual Support – CHC33015

If you are someone who is driven to help, then it’s time to take action with this CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support course. Take your first step in a career in disability and individual support by learning how to empower people with disability to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and well-being.

 

Certificate III in Community Services – CHC32015

Do you have an innate desire to help make your community a better place? Community service workers have a diverse and fulfilling role that can touch many lives. You could work with children and families, senior citizens, people with disability or mental illnesses, immigrants, or the homeless. This course will teach you skills in advocacy and communication, as well as develop your knowledge to work with individuals and assist them in solutions for their day to day lives.

 

Certificate IV in Disability – CHC43115

If you are as passionate about helping others reach their full potential as we are, this disability course may be the perfect fit for you. This course provides the knowledge and skills to empower people with disability to achieve greater levels of independence, self-reliance, community participation and well-being.